According to stvalentinesday.org, approximately 1 billion Valentine’s Day cards will be exchanged tomorrow in the US.
That’s a lot o’ love being passed around.
But I’m acutely aware that for many, tomorrow isn’t all about conversation hearts and Hershey’s kisses. February 14 is a day on the Hallmark calendar that can be full of fear, sadness, pain, and dread…especially for those who are single, separated, or spouseless.
I understand. And I ache with you, friend. 😦
But before we throw the long-stemmed roses out with the stale vase water, let’s recall to mind what true love really is:
Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. (1 Corinthians 13:4-7 NLT)
Oh sweet sister, if your heart is hurting today, let me encourage you with this truth: Love Himself has come down and given His life for us–for you and for me–that we may know and experience true love and joy and peace…even on a day when the arrows that are hitting us feel more poison-tipped than love-dripped!
So, with a heart that is heavy yet full of hope, here are my Top 5 Favorite Love Songs:
No. 5 : Marry Me (Train, 2009)
- Tear-Jerker Lyric : “Marry me…today and every day”
No. 4 : You’re the Best Thing that Ever Happened to Me (Gladys Knight, 1973)
- Tear-Jerker Lyric : “If anyone should ever write my life story…for whatever reason there might be…you’ll be there between each line of pain and glory…’cause you’re the best thing that ever happened to me”
No. 3 : Never My Love (The Association, 1967)
- Tear-Jerker Lyric : “You wonder if this heart of mine will lose its desire for you…never my love”
No. 2 : I Won’t Give Up (Jason Mraz, 2012)
- Tear-Jerker Lyric : “I won’t give up on us…God knows I’m tough enough…we’ve got a lot to learn…God knows we’re worth it”
No. 1: Every Time I Close My Eyes (Babyface, 1996)
- Tear-Jerker Lyric : “It feels like heaven has opened up its gates for me and you…and every time I close my eyes I thank the Lord that I’ve got you…and you’ve got me too”
What about you, dear friend? What sappy serenades cause you to snivel and sob?